Writing about music is fine, but to experience the true essence of music, you need to listen to it or watch a performance. So I’ve started a new feature that I’m really excited about: KC Music Tube.
KC Music Tube collects the videos of KC music artists that are scattered all over the Internet (YouTube mostly). With video, you can see (and hear) what makes them so special.
Look for the KC Music Tube tab at the top of the page. Right now the tube contains videos by these artists:
- Oleta Adams, the R&B and gospel pianist and singer who has lived in Kansas City for more than 30 years.
- Gene Clark, a founder of the Byrds and a pioneer in folk-rock and country-rock who grew up in Kansas City.
- Paul Clark, the guitarist and singer who was one of the first contemporary Christian artists, was born in Kansas City and still lives in the area.
- Melissa Etheridge, the Grammy-winning rock singer and songwriter who grew up in Leavenworth, Kan., and lived in Kansas City before she moved to Los Angeles.
- Country singer Martina McBride, who grew up in Kansas and often played in Kansas City at the beginning of her career.
- Tech N9ne, hip-hop artist who grew up in the KC suburb Lee’s Summit and is the country’s top selling independent hip-hop artist.
- Virgil Thomson, the classical composer who grew up in Kansas City and won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Medal for the Arts.
- Trampled Under Foot, a KC blues band that won the International Blues Challenge in 2008.
- Big Joe Turner, the Kansas City-born singer who was one of the pioneers of rock ‘n’ roll.
Look for additions every few weeks.